What’s Christmas without cakes, cookies and anything else that can lead you straight into a delightful sugary food coma?
Vollpension, a multi-generation coffee house in the 4th district of Vienna, where grandmothers bake delicious cakes, who also happens to be one of our dear members, decided to make your Christmas even better with this special cake recipe for Fr. Elisabeth´s Linzer Schnitten! The cake comes from the Vollpension cookbook published in 2016, which contains delicious foolproof recipes passed on for generations straight from the Omas.
Fr. Elisabeth´s Linzer Schnitten
Preparation time: 30 min / Baking time: 40 min / Cooling time: 30 min
Ingredients for 1 cake:
150 g butter
300 g flour (type: glatt)
½ pack of baking soda
70 g ground hazelnuts
120 g of icing sugar
1 pack of vanilla sugar
30 g finely chopped baking chocolate
zest from a quarter of a bio lemon, finely grated
pinch of cinnamon
150 g of red currant jam
½ egg white
some flour for dough rolling
a baking tray
1. Preheat the oven to 150 ° C.
2. Chop the cold butter into smaller pieces, add it to a bowl with the flour and rub the butter into the flour using your fingers. Add in baking soda, ground hazelnuts, icing sugar, vanilla sugar, chocolate, eggs, lemon zest and a pinch of cinnamon, and quickly knead until combined. Form the dough into a ball and let it rest in the fridge for half an hour.
3. Split the dough in half and roll one part of it out with a rolling pin on a flat surface dusted with flour (add enough flour so the dough won’t stick to the work surface). Make sure the dough is about 1 cm thick, then place it on a baking tray lined with a baking paper.
4. Pierce the dough with a fork couple of times and spread a layer of red currant jam on it.
5. Roll the other half of the dough, cut it into stripes and arrange them into a lattice on your cake.
6. Brush the cake with egg white and bake for about 40 minutes. Take it our of the oven and leave to cool.
View this post on Instagram
Nau, habts s’Weihnachtseinkaufswochnend überlebt? ? Bei uns kann ma auch a bissi was fürs Christkindl erstehen, in beiden Vollpensionen und online. (Link in der Bio)✨? . . . #vollpension #vollpensionwien #vollpensionvienna #christmaspresents #weihnachtsideen #weihnachtsgeschenke #weihnachtszeit #christkindl #backbuch #vollpensionbackbuch #selbstgebacken #wienerkaffeehaus #kaffeehauskulturwien #viennaeats #viennabakers #viennabakes #bakebook
Oma’s Baking Tip
When making shortcrust pastry it is really important to knead the dough quickly and that your hands are cold. If the dough gets too warm it will break and start crumbling. If it happens, add a bit more butter to make it silkier again.
Photos: Courtesy of Vollpension, (c) Mark Glassner