[Member slot] impactTALK: building bridges (literally)
How to implement a lifesaving infrastructure where the formal system is failing?
Marlene Wagner architect and co-founder of the NPO buildCollective (link: buildcollective.net) will take you on an adventurous journey to an extraordinary project in South Africa, a land full of contrast.
The community driven construction project of a 140 meter long suspension bridge at the Mzamba River in Eastern Cape enables inhabitants of a catchment area of 30km a save access to educational facilities, health care and general food supply.
The presentation will focus on process and collaboration between North and South, breathtaking landscapes, tribal authority, master students, Swiss engineers, round huts, snakes, local construction team, volunteers and a Hollywood movie production.
From initial request by community members to the realisation of the main structure the talk will also tackle questions like:
- How 20m3 of concrete for piling foundation got on a construction site without a road.
- Why our clients are fighting against an Australian mining company and why a casino had to return land to the community.
- How 15m high steel pylon was set up just by a team of volunteers and community members.
- How Charlize Theron peed on the construction site but did not give us a penny.
- How do you want to help us finishing up and support the last phase of construction? (Because you better then Charlize!)
Entrance: free donation
Wine bar: all earnings will benefit the project bridgingMZAMBA